Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Weaning Day 1, 2 and 3

Day 1: I failed miserably. We had a rough night and in the morning I just wanted to rest so I nursed him in bed and relaxed. I continued the rest of the day; planned on having a fresh start in the morning. While I was putting him down for bed I noticed he was warm. I checked him temperature and it was 101.9. I rubbed peppermint oil on his head and feet and nursed him down. He woke up several times that night. Around 5am I brought him into our room where he slept till 9am.

Day 2: Since Lochlan had developed a slight fever the night before I definitely wasn't going to stop so I nursed him all day, rubbed peppermint oil on him and let him rest. His fever was gone by that night. I nursed him to sleep. He woke up several times but I was able to get him to take a sippy cup of water. He was mad and cried so I sat with him until he fell asleep. At one point it took over an hour but he managed. He woke up every 1-2 hours the rest of the night.

Day 3: Around 6am Lochlan woke up. I nursed him once but did not let him nurse again until nap time. He was very, very mad. He cried all morning long until I nursed him for his nap when he woke I let him drain both sides. I told him no more milk until bed time. He was pretty good the rest of the day. He asked a few times, demanded once or twice but I was able to distract him by making playdough and pulling out toys that I had put away earlier in the week for this exact reason. I nursed him down to bed at 8:00, it's 10:53 right now and he is crying. I am going to go in and try to get him to sleep with water again. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'm not near weaning, but I did nurse a fussy 6 month old 12 times last night. I got no sleep at all, and am my wits end. So, so , so tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so tiring but it's worth it in the end. Breast is best!!

      Delete